A leading independent property consultancy with expertise covering a broad spectrum of property related services

The Old Vicarage

Bywell, Stocksfield, NE43 7AD

Guide Price £2,250,000


  • 5 Bedrooms

  • 3 Bathrooms (1 en-suite)

  • 4 Reception rooms

  • Conservatory

  • Wine cellar

  • 3 Garages

  • Traditional outbuildings

  • Delightful formal and informal garden and courtyard Gardener's Cottage

THE PROPERTY
The Old Vicarage is an enchanting stone-built property providing almost 4,700 sq. ft. of light-filled
flexible accommodation arranged over four floors. The property is sensitively modernised yet retains
plenty of its character features including sash, mullioned and casement …

THE PROPERTY
The Old Vicarage is an enchanting stone-built property providing almost 4,700 sq. ft. of light-filled
flexible accommodation arranged over four floors. The property is sensitively modernised yet retains
plenty of its character features including sash, mullioned and casement windows and generously proportioned rooms with some oak panelling and carved stone fireplaces.

The ground floor accommodation flows from a welcoming entrance hall and includes spacious drawing and sitting rooms, both with feature fireplaces with woodburners, a generous study, a stunning orangery-style conservatory with French doors to the garden and a 30 ft. garden room/gym with French doors to the garden. The large kitchen/breakfast room has bespoke wall and base units, a four-oven Aga, modern integrated appliances and a
useful separate utility room and walk-in larder. The property also benefits from generous cellarage.

On the upper two floors there are five generous double bedrooms, two with en suite bathrooms, as well as a store, suitable for use as a sixth bedroom if required, and a family bathroom with bath and walk-in shower.

OUTSIDE
The property is approached over a tarmac and gravelled driveway, providing plenty of parking space and giving access to the detached (triple) garage block. The partwalled garden is laid mainly to level lawn with well-stocked flower andshrub beds and features a vegetable garden and numerous seating areas and terraces, all ideal for entertaining and al fresco dining.

HISTORY
The Old Vicarage is grade II listed as being historically and architecturally important. It was occupied by Mathew Owen in 1698, the parson of St Andrew’s Church at that time. An inscription above the front door bears his name with that date. Above the stonework is inscribed with the diocese of Durham coat of arms. There is a memorial stone dedicated to Mathew in the church.

The church tower is a pleasant and beautiful feature seen from the vicarage garden a reminder of the Saxon heritage of the historic village of Bywell. It is one of only a few Saxon churches in England built side by side with a second. Originally these churches
serviced the Baronies of Balliol and Bolbec. St. Peter’s for the monastery and St Andrew’s for the parishioners. The Saxon Cross which marks the right turn into the Ol Vicarage drive would originally have been shared between the two churches as a central gathering point for the community.

The land upon which the vicarage is built (including what is now the vicarage garden) was endowed by the Reverends Hutton and Hall in 1651. It was then called Three Quarter Land and was meant to be beneficial to the poorer parishioners. It is here that
the village grew and extended. In 1770 William Blackett gave £200 for the augmentation of the vicarage possibly securing its future as a private dwelling until this day.

Bywell was once a busy settlement of importance stretching round the bend of theRiver with artisans of iron artefacts, traders and dwellings. In 1801 there were 200 people living in Bywell.