Built in 1738, the property is mentioned in Pevsner and offers the pleasing symmetry of the archetypal Georgian house, with its wisteria-covered rear elevation and manicured lawns.
The property has operated as a country house hotel in recent years and is immaculately presented, with a wealth of exceptional period features and superb spaces for entertaining.
Sam Gibson, a partner with Galbraith in Hexham said: “Eshott Hall is one of the most beautiful properties in northeast England. This sale offers the ideal opportunity to convert the hotel back to a magnificent private residence, subject to permission. Alternatively the purchaser may wish to continue with the established luxury hotel business.
“The hall benefits from an attractive parkland and woodland setting, amidst rolling Northumbrian countryside, and just minutes away from Northumberland’s heritage coastline. Despite the tranquillity of its lovely rural setting, Eshott Hall is easily accessible to Newcastle, the main financial centre of northeast England.”
The main elements of the estate are Eshott Hall; a Victorian chapel; a converted stable block; a detached house - Eshott Grange; and a former gamekeeper’s cottage.
The principal house extends to 12,511 sq ft, with 11 bedrooms, all en suite, a grand function room / ballroom extending to 58’ by 23’, three further formal reception rooms, library, kitchen, study, garden room, two utility rooms, office and additional store rooms and WCs.
Of particular note are the beautiful stained glass window and sweeping staircase in the grand reception hall, both designed by William Morris.
The principal rooms have a southerly aspect. Among the fine period features are marble fireplaces, exquisite decorative plaster work and cornicing, in particular the magnificent plaster and carved wood ceiling in mid-18th century Italian style, in the principal drawing room.
There is a converted stable block incorporating one 2-bedroom cottage and 6 en suite rooms.
A further detached house, Eshott Grange, has 6 en suite rooms along with its own private garden to the front, rear and side.
The recently decorated former Gamekeeper’s House provides a further six en suite bedrooms, kitchen, living space and amenities. It is conveniently located by the rear drive for additional accommodation, security or perhaps to be let, to generate an alternative income stream.
The Victorian Chapel situated in the village of Eshott offers the potential for conversion to a 3-bedroom home (subject to planning consent).
As a whole, Eshott Hall can provide 11 grand bedrooms in the principal building for family and their private guests, and a further 15 bedrooms for overflow guests or staff.
Eshott Hall Estate is accessed by two private and gated tree-lined drives. Situated in a private wooded and parkland setting, close to the thriving village of Felton, Eshott Hall is almost midway between Morpeth and Alnwick which provide a wider range of shopping facilities.
The property is easily accessible to the A1, about two miles distant, and to Newcastle (23 miles).The sweeping sandy beach of Druridge Bay is about 7 miles.
The nearest mainline train station is Alnmouth, which offers direct services to Edinburgh, London Kings Cross and Newcastle.
Although accounts differ as to the exact history of this property, records of a Hall at Eshott date back to 1310, when Roger Mauduit was given a Royal license to crenellate his dwelling house. At this point the village is referred to as ‘Esshete’ and the Castle of Esshete is mentioned in the list of fortalices in 1415 belonging to Sir John Heron, a knight. In 1588 William Carr purchased the Estate, rebuilding it to the designs of Robert Trollope in the 17th century. It is this original design which can still be seen today, albeit slightly modified. In 1792 the Estate was sold to Thomas Adams for £34,000 who left it to his brother and who, in turn was succeeded by his son, Dr. William Adams of Calcutta. He died intestate in 1818 and the Estate was eventually bought by one of the Adams’ daughters. In 1877 the Hall and Estate were bought by Emerson Bainbridge (founder of the Newcastle based, first department store in the world, which became part of the John Lewis Partnership in 1952). At this time the Estate comprised the Hall, three hamlets (population of 140) and 1775 acres of land. Bainbridge substantially enlarged and improved the Hall making it one of the most elegant houses in Northumberland. More recently it was sold in 2009 by a great grandson of Bainbridge after he had carried out significant restoration works. Since then it has operated as a successful country house hotel.
Nicholas Pevsner records:
“A five-storey front block perhaps by Robert Trollope c1660 but much recast in c1850 and 1881. Curly open pediments to the windows. The central first floor window is a c19 insertion. The present porch is of c1850 of the same period as the sumptuous plasterwork in the drawing room done in the style of 1750 by the Italian Stuccari who worked at Alnwick Castle. This is a matter for conjecture - some experts claim that the intricate decoration is of a much earlier period and is carved wood. The older central block which lay behind was demolished in the early 1960s but the 1881 North wing, copying the style of the South was retained as a separate house.”
Eshott Hall Estate, Northumberland, is for sale as a whole for a guide price of £4,995,000. There is also the potential for a lotted sale - please ask Galbraith for further information.