Hybrid working / Office base in Perth or Stirling|
Permanent/ Full-Time / £30,000 p.a
Galbraith has an exciting opportunity for a GIS Consultant to join the team.
This work is spatial by nature and GIS plays a key role in the provision of the services that Galbraith provides. To support, grow and develop our GIS systems and services we are seeking a GIS Consultant.
Galbraith is a leading independent land and property consultancy with 14 offices located across Scotland and northern England. The company has a broad portfolio of expertise across the energy, rural, forestry and commercial sectors and has recently launched an exciting service focused on natural capital.
The role will involve:
- Helping to build, maintain and expand a stack of open-source GIS software. The organisation uses QGIS as its primary desktop GIS and has recently deployed PostGIS and GeoServer, with the aim of building a centralised spatial data hub which can be used by GIS enabled staff.
- Spatial data management and database design. You will assist with the migration of the organisation’s existing spatial data into PostGIS / GeoServer and with its ongoing maintenance, ensuring that staff across the organisation have access to authoritative data.
- Set-up and management of cloud-based web GIS platforms (ArcGIS Online and groundMapper) on behalf of clients with large portfolios of spatial data.
- Training and technical support for a GIS user group across the energy, rural, forestry and commercial business streams.
- Advising colleagues in the energy, rural, forestry and commercial business streams on the appropriate deployment of GIS technologies to achieve project outcomes and to add value for clients.
- Provision of spatial analysis, cartography and data management services to clients in the energy, rural, forestry and commercial sectors.
- Interaction and collaboration with clients, sub-contractors, external consultants and public / private sector organisations.
This is a diverse and interesting role at a time when the organisation’s GIS is significantly evolving. As part of a small GIS team, you will have real opportunity to influence the ongoing development of this GIS architecture and to work on a range of projects across the energy, rural, forestry and commercial sectors.
We’re looking for individuals with a genuine interest in using GIS in innovative and interesting ways. You don’t need to be an expert at everything, but you need to have the drive and aptitude to pick up new skills quickly and enjoy identifying and implementing solutions to technical challenges.
- QGIS. Demonstrable experience using QGIS 3.4 or above would be an advantage.
- ArcGIS (Including ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Web AppBuilder, Dashboards, Hub, Experience Builder etc). Demonstrable experience managing large portfolios of data in ArcGIS Online would be an advantage.
- FME Desktop.
- Experience designing and managing spatial databases / geodatabases in a PostGIS or Esri environment.
- Experience creating, publishing and administrating web map and web feature services using GeoServer or ArcGIS Online.
- Cartography. Demonstrable ability to produce technically accurate and visually appealing maps to support decision making by colleagues and clients.
- Spatial analysis. Demonstrable experience analysing spatial data to answer questions and inform decision making.
- Ability to engage confidently with colleagues at all levels of seniority across the business and with clients, sub-contractors and external consultants across a range of sectors.
- Ability to work autonomously, managing a varied workload and completing tasks with a high level of attention to detail.
- Drive and aptitude for acquiring new skills and applying them to solve problems.
- An interest in keeping up to date with developments in the wider GIS industry and working towards professional accreditation (CGeog or equivalent).
- Educated to degree level in relevant technical discipline.
- FME Server
- Experience using web GIS systems.
- Python (PyQGIS/ArcPy) for process automation.
- Experience using GIS for terrestrial ecology, natural capital assessment or Biodiversity Net Gain analysis.
- Experience using GIS in the energy, rural, forestry or commercial sectors.
- Experience carrying out land cover classification or satellite / aerial imagery analysis.
- Experience using open-source and proprietary Ordnance Survey data (e.g. OS Zoomstack, OS MasterMap, Vector Map Local).
- Experience using title / ownership data from Registers of Scotland or HM Land Registry.
What We Offer
In return, we offer a salary of £30,000pa and competitive benefits package and the opportunity to work for an agile, innovative and progressive business, which recognise and values the importance of our people.
We offer a varied and interesting range of work across a number of sectors, and the opportunity to have a real impact on the development of the organisation’s wider GIS architecture. We’ll provide you with access to training and development opportunities to grow as a professional, conference attendance to keep up to date with developments in the wider GIS industry and support towards professional accreditation. We’ll also pay for membership of a selected professional body.
This role is full time and offers a blend of office and home working, with an office base of preferably Perth or Stirling and travel to other offices as required.
To apply, please email you current CV along with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate will be required to undergo Experian credit and criminal record checks.
Galbraith is an equal opportunities employer.
Who Are We?
With over 200 employees in offices across Scotland and Northern England, Galbraith offers an unparalleled breadth of skills across all property sectors. We pride ourselves on being an innovative and progressive firm. However, we're proud that we take a traditional approach when it comes to delivering the highest quality of personal service to our clients.