1 Moss Cottage is situated in the sought-after village of Dunmore, which is a tranquil village surrounded by open farmland and situated close to the banks of the River Forth. Historic Scotland refer to the Dunmore Village as an interesting …
1 Moss Cottage is situated in the sought-after village of Dunmore, which is a tranquil village surrounded by open farmland and situated close to the banks of the River Forth. Historic Scotland refer to the Dunmore Village as an interesting example of mid c19th estate development and Moss Cottage itself was built in approximately 1890 as part of the Dunmore Estate.
The name Dunmore was introduced into the area in the middle of the 18th century by the Murray family. For many centuries the estates, fortified tower house and settlement bore the name Elphinstone from the family which had been in residence since sometime prior to 1338.
In 1754 John Murray, Viscount Fincastle, heir to the Earldom of Dunmore, purchased the lands of Elphinstone and soon after changed the name to Dunmore, a place in Perthshire associated with his family who were related to the Murrays of Blair Castle. Two years later he succeeded his father as 4th Earl of Dunmore. The estates remained in the family until 1911 when they were sold.
Without doubt the building which has attracted most attention is the Pineapple, a huge representation of the fruit placed above a garden pavilion by John Murray sometime between and 1777 when the Earl returned from spells in America as Governor of New York and Virginia colonies. The Pineapple was restored by the Landmark Trust in 1973 for the National Trust of Scotland and is now a holiday home as well as a much visited and photographed folly. There are lovely walks from this property down to the coastal paths at Dunmore.
Before the arrival of the Dunmore’s the settlement on the River Forth which housed the workers on the salt pans and later coal miners was called Elphinstone Pans. In the mid 19th century Catherine Herbert widow of the 6th Earl set about replacing the three rows of miner’s cottages with an English style village with two ranges of houses on either side of a village green. Over the next few years the present picturesque settlement with school, well, smithy and a number of vernacular houses was constructed. Most of the work was completed by 1879 and the well was a monument of the village completion and still stands today.
Situated at the heart of the village is a lovely community sensory garden, village green with fountain, children’s play area and bowling club with Bowling Green. Nearby Airth has a good range of shops and local services, as well as a nursery, primary school and a luxury hotel with a private spa and health club. This property is within the catchment for Larbert High School for secondary schooling. Moss Cottage is also well placed for access to Junction 7 of the M9, which provides a fast link to Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Central Belt, the village is also served by a local bus service. Nearby train stations include Larbert, Camelon, Falkirk and Alloa.
The property comprises of an immaculate B-listed end terraced one and a half storey cottage of stone construction under a slate roof with decorative Victorian fascia’s, cast iron window box brackets and finials. The extension which forms the Master Bedroom has a harled render under a slate roof.
This is an immaculate ‘chocolate box’ property which has been maintained to a very high standard by the current owners and tastefully decorated throughout providing boutique style accommodation in move-in order. Whilst the property has been completely renovated it is in keeping with the Victorian style with sash and case windows, shutters and cornicing. The soft furnishings are in keeping with this traditional cottage, ULSTER carpets and tweed made to measure blinds all add to the finish of this beautiful property. In addition the bespoke kitchen by David L Douglas makes excellent use of the space and is of the highest quality. The modern bathroom also with echoes of a Victorian style is also a wonderful room to relax in and much like you would find in a boutique hotel. This is an excellent property for entertaining, the living room with gas fireplace is warm and welcoming and the dining hall is a fun space for dinner parties. In addition to the master bedroom there is guest accommodation on the first floor with maximised storage in the eaves and a lovely study area with a view over the gardens below.
Of particular note are the idyllic country gardens. In addition to the properties own private gardens, 1 Moss cottage is located directly opposite the recently installed communal sensory gardens. Within the gardens is a meandering pathway through arches past herbaceous beds and with a lovely seating area with decorated benches. Within the gardens is a mature tree providing dappling shade and a central focal point. In addition there is a village green with a well, children’s play area and bowling green beyond all looking towards the River Forth with accessible coastal walks.
The cottage itself has very pretty floral beds to the front of the property including climbing roses. The side garden overlooking the village green has a very pretty topiary garden with a stone boundary. The driveway provides parking for several vehicles and vehicular access to the rear of the neighbouring property. The detached garage with pitched slate roof provides a most useful storage area and workshop.
Ground Floor: Dining hall with solid wooden floor, under-stair cupboard and window seat with storage below. Living room with gas fireplace, tiled hearth and wood surround, Edinburgh Press with cupboards below and dual aspect over village green and communal sensory gardens. Bespoke fully fitted kitchen with range oven and integrated appliances, extractor and dish rack, tiled floor (under floor heating), Belfast double sink with drainer, white floor and wall units with polished aroca wood worktop. Master bedroom with solid wooden floor and French doors to the garden (and external painted wooden shutters) and a dual aspect over the rear gardens and communal sensory gardens, decorative gas fireplace with ornate surround and grill. Bathroom with tiled floor with under floor heating, tongue and groove panelling to dado height, tiled surround to roll top bath with wall mounted hand held shower over, wash hand basin with chrome towel rail below and wall mounted towel radiator.
First Floor: Bedroom 2 with study area with inbuilt storage in the eaves and storage cupboard (hanging rail and shelves within), ULSTER carpet and Victorian cast style radiators.
Outbuildings: Detached garage with pitched slate roof, double timber painted doors and external electric lantern lighting.
Gardens: A mosaic style pathway meanders down the rear gardens past a lawn on the right with floral perimeter beds and a combination of brick and post and wire fencing. Further down the gardens to the left (north) is a recently turned kitchen garden and raised curved beds to the south. At the very end of the garden is a lovely secluded lawn with surrounding herbaceous beds, seedling and mature trees and a timber gate leading out onto open privately owned fields, the perfect area to enjoy the local wildlife. The rear gardens are enclosed by perimeter brick work, hedging and fencing.
There is a shared gravel courtyard to the rear (former kitchen door) with outdoor taps.
There is a landscaped community sensory garden opposite the property and a village green adjacent with children’s play park. Please note that there is a vehicular and pedestrian right of way and servitude access over the driveway in favour of 2 Moss Cottage.