Coulnakyle is a gracious, B listed Georgian house lying close to Nethy Bridge in the Cairngorms National Park. The house was built in 1765 for the Wood Manager on the Grant Estate, however, there is reference to a dwelling here …
Coulnakyle is a gracious, B listed Georgian house lying close to Nethy Bridge in the Cairngorms National Park. The house was built in 1765 for the Wood Manager on the Grant Estate, however, there is reference to a dwelling here from the early 13th Century and the site is recognised as being of considerable historical significance in the area. Previously believed to have been designed by John Adam, recent research has uncovered that the plans for Grant Lodge in Elgin designed by his brother, Robert Adam, had been commissioned originally for the new house at Coulnakyle, adding even greater architectural significance to the property.
The current owner purchased the house and farm about 37 years ago, but in due course sold off the land and steading, retaining the house and approximately 2 acres of ground. The house was modernised shortly after purchase and since then has been well maintained. The house, which is of classic Georgian style with symmetrical elevations and elegantly proportioned rooms, is beautifully presented in keeping with its date and style and providing comfortable family accommodation over three floors. The main reception rooms are graceful and elegant with original open fireplaces in the drawing and dining rooms and the many original features include long sash windows, timber floors, cornices, and period door and window furniture.
Coulnakyle is in an enviable setting and is perfectly positioned to enjoy the local area. Rothiemurchus and the Cairngorms Ski Centre are nearby and offer activities in the surrounding countryside and on the mountain ranges throughout the year. In addition, there are five excellent inland golf courses within a short driving distance of the house and fishing is available on the world famous River Spey, crossed by a bailey bridge on the approach to the house.