Polnish House is in a stunning setting on the Ardnish peninsula, a spit of land lying between the sealochs Loch Ailort and Loch nan Uamh and close to the Road to the Isles.
The school was built by the owners of Arisaig estate in 1856, becoming a field hospital around 1900 until its conversion to a country cottage in 1914, then occupied by the same family until 1957. More recent owners have made sensitive improvements, including double glazed sash and case windows, creating a well appointed and comfortable cottage retaining the character of the original property. Of particular note are the plaques over the two main doors, one of which was designed by Philip Webb, the father-architect of the Arts & Crafts movement, who built Arisaig House in 1863.
The focal point of the cottage is the former schoolroom, currently used as a sitting room and dining room, with its open roof space with pitch pine herring-bone pattern boarding and scissor trusses supporting heavy beams. The ground floor of the schoolhouse has an entrance porch, hallway, second sitting room, twin bedroom, dining kitchen and utility room as well as a downstairs toilet and sunporch. Upstairs are the master bedroom with en suite shower room and second bedroom to the front with the fourth bedroom, family bathroom and box room to the rear. The attic space provides further useful storage.
The delightful grounds at Polnish House have been restored by the current owner to reveal part of the original garden layout and plantings, evident in the network of paths, pond with waterfall and specimen trees and shrubs including magnolias and species/hybrid rhododendrons. Recent landscaping includes clearing the ground to create more pathways and new plantings of rhododendrons and native trees underplanted with bulbs. A gate in the boundary opens to a causeway path leading through birch woodlands and to a viewpoint looking towards Loch nan Uamh, the Small Isles and Skye as well as the Arnibol railway viaduct which carries the Jacobite steam train. The path continues under the viaduct to a sheltered bay.