Galbraith is Scotland’s leading independent property consultancy, with expertise across a broad spectrum of property related services.
Meadowbank is a handsome, B listed Georgian house set in the conservation area of Fortrose, an historic coastal town on the Black Isle, a small peninsula lying just north of Inverness. The house, which dates from 1800, was formerly one ...
Meadowbank is a handsome, B listed Georgian house set in the conservation area of Fortrose, an historic coastal town on the Black Isle, a small peninsula lying just north of Inverness. The house, which dates from 1800, was formerly one of the manses for Fortrose cathedral and its elegant façade, beautifully proportioned reception rooms and stair tower reflect the importance of this dwelling.
Approached off a lane close to the cathedral square, Meadowbank is sheltered and private. The grounds are fringed by mature trees and enclosed by a stone wall with two gated entrances, one which leads through a courtyard of traditional outbuildings, formerly the coach house, stables and smiddy. These are now used as garaging, a boat house and garden store but have the potential, with the necessary consents, for residential conversion.
The house was carefully modernised just before purchase by the current owners in 1995 and they have continued to maintain and conserve the house and grounds. The main reception rooms are graceful and elegant with original open fireplaces in the drawing and dining rooms and a semicircular stone staircase leading to the two floors above: the many architectural features include 12 pane Georgian sash windows with original timber shutters, cornices, picture rails, and period door and window furniture.
The grounds at Meadowbank extend to approximately 1 acre and surround the house. The impressive, wrought iron double gates of the main drive are currently unused and access is via the gated rear driveway. The beautiful mature gardens are mainly enclosed by the original high stone wall which ensures privacy and creates a micro-climate in which many specimen plants and trees thrive. To the front of the house the main lawn is fringed by a woodland garden of magnificent specimen trees underplanted by spring and summer flowering bulbs. Colourful mixed beds line the front drive and a grassy path leads to a hidden glade.
To the side of the house is a flagstone sitting area interspersed with colourful ground cover plants and sheltered by a stone wall clad in roses and a mature fig tree. A door in the wall opens to a cutting garden with greenhouse and drying green and from here a small gate opens to the hidden sea garden. This area is completely secluded and slopes gently down to the boundary fence above the coastline. Here coastal loving plants thrive and there are spectacular views over Fortrose harbour and the Moray Firth towards the Kessock Bridge and the mountains of the west.
Garage and Boathouse
L-shaped and of harled stone and slate construction with partial corrugated sheet roofing. With water, power and light. Initial enquiries with the Planners indicate that they would look favourably on an application for conversion to residential use.
Barn and Potting Shed
Formerly the stables and smiddy and now comprising a double height barn/storeroom and adjacent potting shed. Initial enquiries with the Planners indicate that they would look favourably on an application for conversion to residential use.