Newbold House is an impressive grade B listed Victorian Baronial Mansion House set amidst landscaped grounds and located on the eastern outskirts of Forres. Believed to date from the turn of the last century, Newbold was built by Colonel John …
Newbold House is an impressive grade B listed Victorian Baronial Mansion House set amidst landscaped grounds and located on the eastern outskirts of Forres. Believed to date from the turn of the last century, Newbold was built by Colonel John Woodcock who inherited the estate from his uncle, John Little of Newbold Pacey in Warwickshire. Designed by Inverness based architects Ross and Macbeth, tenders for the build were advertised in 1893 however it is likely that the build was not completed until circa 1900. Having served for many years as a private residence, for the past 40 or so years, the property has been managed by the Newbold Trust who have run various residential courses at Newbold with guests coming from across the globe.
A fine example of Scots baronial architecture, this most attractive and elegant house provides extensive and very well maintained accommodation over three storeys. From the driveway, steps lead up to a delightful vestibule and into a magnificent reception hall with wood panelled walls and a wide staircase to the first floor. Accessed from the hallway are the principal reception rooms including the ballroom with the adjoining music room, the art room, and dining room. These rooms are generous in size with deep bay windows, tall corniced ceilings and decorative fireplaces. From the dining room, a door leads to a wonderful conservatory. Also on the ground floor is an extensive and very useful array of ancillary accommodation which includes a well equipped kitchen with an electric 4 oven Aga, laundry room, various larders and stores and a workshop. There are two good sized offices as well as a snug / TV room, telephone room, shower room and WC, both of which are suitable for disabled access. On the first floor, the accommodation is divided into two main wings; the main house and staff wing. The main house includes a large landing with doors off to 8 main bedrooms (1 en suite), a bathroom, a WC, shower room and a separate room with two shower cubicles. From a half landing, a door leads to the staff wing which includes various apartments and which are currently used as 6 bedrooms, a bathroom and a store.
There is also spacious attic accommodation and excellent storage in the basement which also includes the boiler room with two gas central heating boilers. Outside, there are various stores and rooms accessed from the courtyard including a healing room, consultation room and WC.
GARDEN AND GROUNDS
The grounds extend to approximately 6.4 acres and consist of a large lawned area to the south (possibly a former tennis court) whilst a substantial and beautifully maintained walled garden is located to the north and which is in remarkably good condition. A real feature of Newbold, the walled garden has been very productive over the years and includes a variety of fruit and vegetable beds, 2 greenhouses and various quiet seating areas. The property is nicely sheltered and screened by mature amenity woodland to the east and west.