Blervie is an elegant and most impressive country house dating from 1776. Often described as one of the most desirable houses in the county, it was built by The Hon Major Lewis Duff, son of William Braco, the Earl ...
Blervie is an elegant and most impressive country house dating from 1776. Often described as one of the most desirable houses in the county, it was built by The Hon Major Lewis Duff, son of William Braco, the Earl of Fife and is a category A listed building on account of its rare nautilus shell carvings on the skewputts which, according to Historic Scotland are peculiar to Forres and Findhorn, with this example the only one known outside these 2 areas. Built using stone from the ruined Blervie castle, under a slate roof, comfortable and very well appointed accommodation is provided over two and a half storeys and in recent years has served not only as a wonderful family home but also providing high quality Bed and Breakfast through the Wolsey Lodge Scheme. On the ground floor, the house is accessed into a bright and well lit reception hall with stairs leading to the first floor and doors off to a magnificent drawing room with tall ceiling, cornicing and an attractive open fireplace. A dining room provides an elegant room to entertain with a door leading to an inner hall and on to the hub of the
house, a cosy kitchen / living room. This room has a range of wall and floor units, an oil fired Aga and a wood burning stove and accesses into a sun room and workshop / store area. A rear staircase also leads to the first floor whilst completing the ground floor is a larder with stone shelving and a shower room. On the first floor, the landing leads to 2 wonderful bedrooms, both will tall ceilings and large windows which open up the stunning views over the garden and surrounding countryside. There is a family bathroom whilst accessed from the main bedroom is a further bathroom, dressing room and a family room / 5th bedroom. The second floor comprises 3 further attic bedrooms and a bathroom.
Blervie is a wonderful house with many fine period features (several salvaged from Blervie Castle including the staircase and fireplaces) that one would expect in a property of this quality, including tall corniced ceilings, pitch pine doors and attractive fireplaces. The house is heated using oil central heating whilst a 3kW solar panel system generates electricity and a moderate but useful income.
Outside, the house sits in beautiful grounds which are accessed over a tree lined driveway. The gardens include areas of lawn together with a wealth of mature rhododendrons, azaleas and various plants and shrubs which are linked by a delightful path. There is productive orchard, vegetable patch and a useful greenhouse. Adjoining the house is a utility room whilst excellent storage is available in a timber shed and a stone built outbuilding. A superb paddock (about 4.9 acres) provides excellent grazing for horses or other livestock and would be of great appeal to those with equestrian interests.