A leading independent property consultancy with expertise covering a broad spectrum of property related services

Cantray House

Croy, Inverness, IV2 5PW

Guide Price £1,200,000


  • An outstanding compact rural amenity property.

  • 5 Reception Rooms. 6 Bedrooms.

  • An exquisite, Palladian style country house.

  • Integral one bedroom apartment.

  • Formal gardens with specimen trees and shrubs.

  • Garaging, greenhouse, stabling and garden stores.

  • Single bank fishing on the River Nairn.

  • Mature mixed woodland.

  • Within easy reach of the airport and Inverness.

  • About 4 hectares (10 acres) in all.

Cantray House lies close to Croy near Inverness and is in a delightful south facing setting with beautiful views over its own grounds to the Nairn valley. The property comprises a main house with integral apartment and a range of …

Cantray House lies close to Croy near Inverness and is in a delightful south facing setting with beautiful views over its own grounds to the Nairn valley. The property comprises a main house with integral apartment and a range of outbuildings set in about 10 acres of grounds, along with salmon and sea trout fishing on the River Nairn.

The countryside around Cantray House is lush and beautiful with riverside walks and wooded paths set against a backdrop of rugged moorland and hills, while just a short drive away is the coast with its wide open beaches. The area offers an excellent range of leisure and sporting pursuits with fishing, shooting, cycling and sailing available nearby, championship links golf courses at Castle Stuart and Nairn, and both the Cairngorm and The Lecht Ski Centres approximately an hour’s drive away.

Croy village has a primary school and popular café and nearby Cawdor, a historic village of meandering lanes and traditional cottages, has a village shop, and pub with restaurant. Secondary schooling is available in Nairn and Culloden, while Gordonstoun Independent School is about 30 miles away. Inverness is within easy reach and has all the facilities of a modern city including its airport, which is just 4 miles from the house, with regular flights to the south and Europe.

Formerly part of Cantray Estate which once extended to 25% of Nairnshire, the house has historical connections dating back to the 15th century and during its history the house and estate has been owned by only six different families. The original house burned down in 1921 and the new house, which was built in 1926, has incorporated into its design elements of Palladian architecture with pleasing symmetry and considered proportions, while many artefacts salvaged from the original house are now contained in its interior.

The house has beautifully presented accommodation with well-proportioned, mainly south-facing rooms retaining many original features. The current owners have sympathetically renovated the house to an exceptional standard, preserving the integrity of its original design while introducing modern benefits such as insulation, a new central heating system, high quality kitchen and bathroom fittings, and an integrated security system.

The outstanding accommodation is well served by the excellent ancilliary rooms and the second floor apartment.