Thought to have been built in 1806, Distillery House was the former managers accommodation for the adjacent Grange Distillery. The Distillery was established that year, when the local Young family converted a brewery built in 1767. It is ...
Thought to have been built in 1806, Distillery House was the former managers accommodation for the adjacent Grange Distillery. The Distillery was established that year, when the local Young family converted a brewery built in 1767. It is said that the Grange Distillery was producing about 900,000 litres of malt whisky annually in the late 1800s and in 1914 became one of the five founder members of Scottish Malt Distillers Limited. The distillery closed in 1925 as a result of American prohibition, but its warehouses remained in use until around 1987.
Impressively positioned in the lea of an historic landmark, The Binn, a volcanic plug from the same volcano as the Edinburgh Castle rock, Distillery House stands in an attractive, semi-rural setting on the edge of the coastal town of Burntisland. The town offers a good range of local amenities and facilities with a wider offering on hand a few miles to the east in Kirkcaldy and a few miles to the west in Dunfermline. Attractively positioned on the northern banks of the Forth, the area offers ready access to the beautiful rolling countryside of Fife with a lovely mix of farmland, coastline, hill and river, the result being a fine choice for the outdoor enthusiast with walking, cycling, riding, sailing and, of course, golf all readily available. The area is also home to an array of wildlife with the wide open spaces of the Lomond Hills offering considerable scope for recreational pursuits. There are many highly regarded golf courses in the county including Aberdour, Burntisland, Ladybank, Lundin Links, Leven and Elie, along with the many fine courses in and around St Andrews with the renowned Old Course regularly hosting the British Open. In terms of days out, there are lovely sandy beaches at Burntisland, Leven, Elie, St Andrews and Tentsmuir, whilst the pretty fishing villages of Fifes quaint East Neuk which include Anstruther, Pittenweem and Crail are less than thirty minutes to the east. There are a number of popular National Trust for Scotland properties in the area, including Falkland Palace, Hill of Tarvit and Kellie Castle.
State schooling is available locally with independent schooling provided at a number of highly rated Edinburgh schools (easily accessible by train) as well as Dollar and St Leonards in St Andrews. There are railway stations in Burntisland, Aberdour, Inverkeithing and Kirkcaldy, with Edinburgh airport about half an hours drive from the property.
Believed to date from 1806, Distillery House is constructed of a striking dark sandstone under a slate roof with a pantiled kitchen addition to the side. With a bright southerly aspect, many of the propertys period features remain including the ashlar pillars either side of the main entrance, the Distillery Managers original wall safe, as well as extensive decorative cornicing, cast iron fireplaces and working window shutters. Extensively restored and refurbished in recent years, Distillery House offers charming and substantial well-presented family accommodation over four levels extending to about 459 sqm (4,941 sqft) with the flexibility for three formal reception rooms together with six bedrooms. The main roof and chimneys were thoroughly refurbished in 2014, and in 2015 the two shower rooms were fully modernised. A fully-pumped central heating and hot water system with high efficiency condensing boiler was also installed in 2015. The main ground floor accommodation comprises the wonderful formal drawing room with timber pilasters, Ionic cornicing, an arched alcove and a modern wood-burning stove set in the original, classical fireplace, and an adjoining panelled library/music room, with the inter-connecting doors offering scope to use these rooms either together or alternatively as two separate rooms. The painted wood panelling in the library conceals a working 19th century wall safe. The impressive formal dining room with recessed shelving is ideal for entertaining, complete with butlers pantry fitted with library shelving, whilst the double height kitchen/family room with gas fired four oven Aga and marble island unit is of particular note. The study with its built-in bookshelves, a cleverly concealed cloakroom and an impressive hallway with radial-astragalled fanlight complete the ground floor accommodation. An elegant, curved stone stair leads to the first floor and the delightfully spacious principal bedroom suite with modernised shower room, together with two further double bedrooms, dressing room/bedroom, family bathroom with art deco bath and a separate, newly refurbished shower room. The curved staircase then leads up to the second floor which contains a sitting room (with kitchenette area), together with two double guest bedrooms and bathroom, all with new, double-glazed rooflights installed in 2014. The lower ground level of the house comprises a super games room with its own 8 foot snooker table, table tennis and dart board, together with a workshop, utility room and extensive storage. The original wooden flooring in the drawing room, music room and dining room has been professionally restored, and the woollen carpets in the hallways, study and upper floors were renewed in 2014. A particular feature of the property is its uninterrupted views to the wooded slopes of The Binn to the north-east, along with southerly views over the Firth of Forth from the upper floors.
Timber garden shed installed in 2015.
Distillery House stands in an attractive garden with a mix of plants, trees and shrubs as well as lovely sheltered seating areas and a charming ornamental lily pond. To the west side of the house is a decked area with recessed wood stores, and a beech hedge has recently been planted to the north and east of the house. Planting includes fruit trees, roses, wisteria, clematis and magnolia.
Heating Mains Gas
Distillery House is classified as Band F for Council Tax purposes.
Distillery House is Category B listed.
Distillery House stands at the top of Grange Road, which is accessed off the main A921 Aberdour road, towards the western end of Burntisland.
Simpson & Marwick, Albany House, 58 Albany St, Edinburgh EH1 3QR
Deveron Homes has just started the first phase of a residential development of new homes at Lansdale Rise, on an area of ground directly to the south and west of Distillery House. Further information and approved plans are available on Fife Councils Online Planning system.
Access is via a private road over which the owners of Distillery House have a servitude right of access.