House of Knock was built by Quentin and Evelyn Agnew in 1908 and occupies a commanding cliff top location. This striking B listed Edwardian mansion has a circular tower, presenting itself in the ground floor Drawing Room and First …
House of Knock was built by Quentin and Evelyn Agnew in 1908 and occupies a commanding cliff top location. This striking B listed Edwardian mansion has a circular tower, presenting itself in the ground floor Drawing Room and First Floor Master Bedroom, extending the already spectacular views. The slate roof was replaced in 2015, however the rest of property is in need of extensive refurbishment, in particular the sash and case windows and Conservatory, which have been exposed to the elements. The Dining Room also extends beyond the walls of the main house, again enhancing the views. The Dining Room is linked to the Kitchen by a Butler’s Pantry, which would have been well used on a daily basis and during formal occasions in the early 1900’s.
The Kitchen has been modernised in more recent years. An Aga, and an electric hob situated in the fitted island provide cooking facilities and granite worktop surrounds the stainless steel sink and draining board. In contrast the Utility Room, formerly the Laundry Room, still has two original Belfast sinks. A back staircase leads from the kitchen to the bedroom hallway on the first floor.
The main staircase leads to the first floor landing, opening to the Master Bedroom en-suite and four further Bedrooms, including Bedroom 5, the largest of the guest Bedrooms which also has en-suite facilities. A number of Bedrooms have original fitted wardrobes and fireplaces. The view from the first floor is spectacular, particularly from the Master Bedroom and Bedrooms 2, 3 and 5. There is also an Attic staircase accessed from the bedroom hallway leading to a small Attic and Tank Room.
The property has oil fired central heating, however an open fire provides extra heat in the Drawing Room, and an Efel wood burning stove creates a warm ambiance in the Sitting Room.
The House of Knock is situated in a very dramatic location, with stunning views of Killintringan Lighthouse, Knock Bay and the North Channel beyond. The nearest village is Portpatrick a harbour village with a number of seaside hotels and restaurants, village shops, primary school, church and RNLI Lifeboat station.
Stranraer, the nearest town has a wider range of amenities including a number of primary schools, a secondary school, supermarkets, shops, restaurants and various leisure facilities including a marina. There is also a rail link and two ferry ports at nearby Cairnryan offering a regular ferry service to both Belfast and Larne.
Turn right on to the B738 where signposted on the A77 before you enter the harbour village Portpatrick, continue for approximately 2.6 miles. Turn left, immediately before a farmhouse and buildings and follow the track until the end, you will arrive at House of Knock. Please be aware the road is in need of repair and care must be taken driving down the single track.
POST CODE: DG9 0NB