Rivendell is a handsome Victorian house set in private wooded grounds situated in the conservation village of Douglas, South Lanarkshire, about 2 miles west of the M74. With a population of around 1620, the village has local services including post …
Rivendell is a handsome Victorian house set in private wooded grounds situated in the conservation village of Douglas, South Lanarkshire, about 2 miles west of the M74. With a population of around 1620, the village has local services including post office, shop, butchers, an ATM, primary school and a popular coffee shop, The Scrib Tree selling local farm produce which is adjacent to Rivendell.
The name Douglas is of Gaelic origin, meaning dark grey/green in reference to the river. The Main Street retains much of its medieval character and is dominated by Old St Brides Church where lie the remains of the Earl of Douglas. St Brides Church was built in the 14th century, and the clock tower houses the oldest working clock in Scotland.
Secondary schooling is available in Lanark (about 11 miles), with local services including shops and supermarkets. The World Heritage Site of New Lanark (about 12 miles) is an award winning industrial model village with guided tours of the mill village and a superb riverside walk passing a series of waterfalls (the Falls of Clyde). The Clyde Walkway is a 40 mile long distance walk from Glasgow City Centre to the World Heritage Centre at New Lanark, travelling through industrial areas with spectacular historic and modern buildings, with a mixture of urban and rural making it a delightful walk with fascinating history.
There are many local walks around the village including a circular walk into the estate grounds surrounding the old castle site (Douglas Castle), of which only a single tower remains.
Hamilton (about 20 miles), has a wide range of shops, leisure facilities, theatre, cinema, galleries and museums, Strathclyde Country Park lies in some 400 hectares of countryside in the valley of the River Clyde and private schooling is available at Hamilton College. Glasgow, (about 30 minutes) is very accessible, Larkhall (15 miles) has a railway station with regular connections to Glasgow and beyond. Strathaven (about 20 miles) also has an excellent range of services including supermarket shopping, leisure centre and library, along with thriving coffee shops and tearooms, pubs and restaurants. Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports offer regular scheduled and domestic flights, and are 38 and 53 miles respectively.
There are many interesting walks in the area including the Hidden Side of the Falls of Clyde, near Lanark (about 10 miles) with gorge cliffs and the ruins of Corra Castle. There are a number of golf courses in the area with the Douglas Water Course by Lanark (about 4 miles distant) and the racecourse at Hamilton provides regular fixtures.
Lot 1 Rivendell House and Gardens
Rivendell is a most attractive detached Victorian house of approximately 300 sq metres with beautifully maintained garden grounds. The house is approached through a pillared entrance with wrought iron gates leading along a private drive to a gravelled parking area in front of the house. There are delightful views over private gardens of about 0.92 acres in all.
Built around 1830, on two storeys of sandstone and whinstone under a slate roof with an attractive stone façade above the entrance vestibule, Rivendell has many original features which have been retained in the main reception rooms with cornicing, deep skirtings and working window shutters. Many of the rooms command fine views over the gardens.
The accommodation is arranged over two storeys with entrance hallway, dining room, sitting room, conservatory with doors leading to the garden, kitchen, shower room, office, utility room and pantry on the ground floor. On the first floor there are 4 bedrooms (one is presently a drawing room and another is a bar), family bathroom and separate w.c. There are also two small attic rooms.
The house benefits from oil fired central heating and some windows have secondary glazing with plenty of storage space throughout. The outbuildings include a double garage, with adjoining workshop, stores and w.c.
Entering the front vestibule with sandstone flooring, this leads into the entrance hall with attractive ceiling rose. The generous dining room has lovely views overlooking the gardens, with a large brick fireplace with surround and mantel, living flame gas fire, cornicing, deep skirtings and window shutters. The cosy sitting room also has a living flame gas fire, shelved alcove, fitted cabinet storage, which leads through to the conservatory with direct access to the gardens.
The kitchen/dining room has a range of fitted floor and wall units with integrated electric double oven, separate hob and tiled splashback and space for fridge and dishwasher. There is a shower room, office, utility room and pantry completing the accommodation on the ground floor.
On the first floor, there are 4 bedrooms. One is presently used as a drawing room which has fabulous views over the gardens and a beautiful arched window to the north side with curved ceiling. Another bedroom has been used as a bar with fitted shelving, sink and seating area. There is a family bathroom with curved whirlpool bath, sink and w.c., and there is a separate w.c. cloakroom. On the second floor there are two small attic rooms.
The property is approached via a gravelled drive with lights leading down the drive, providing off road parking for numerous vehicles. There is a large expanse of lawn to the front with a variety of Scots pine and spruce trees. The gardens are full of colour from spring through summer with planted borders and there is a garden pond water feature with stone bridge.
Double Garage and store: About 18 x 1710 and 244 x 146
Brick construction with slate roof, electric remote control roller door, electric and power, concrete floor.
Workshop: About 30 x 1510 and stores 132 x 62 and 135 x 92
Blockwork with composite panel roof. With two stores and w.c.
From Glasgow, take the M74 southbound, passing Hamilton and Strathclyde Country Park. At Junction 11, take the B7078 Ayr Road and at the roundabout, take the first exit and stay on the Ayr Road, A70 for about 2 miles. As you enter Douglas, Rivendell is situated on the right hand side just before The Scrib Tree.