Newtonhead Farm is a most attractive stock farm with an excellent spacious farmhouse, cottage, traditional and modern buildings set within 225.07 acres (91.09 ha) of high quality and productive farmland. The property enjoys a rural yet accessible location ...
Newtonhead Farm is a most attractive stock farm with an excellent spacious farmhouse, cottage, traditional and modern buildings set within 225.07 acres (91.09 ha) of high quality and productive farmland. The property enjoys a rural yet accessible location in North Ayrshire close to the village of Kilmaurs. Kilmaurs has local shops, including a butchers, chemist, hairdressers, coffee shop, country pub and restaurant and a primary school. The nearby town of Stewarton (4.5 miles) offers a good range of shops, primary and secondary schooling, local services, sports centre, cafes and restaurants. There are frequent train services to Glasgow and beyond from Kilmaurs, Stewarton and Kilmarnock.
Private schooling and Silverburn Shopping Centre is available on the south side of Glasgow about a 40 minute drive. Prestwick Airport is about 14 miles and Glasgow Airport about 23 miles.
Ayrshire is renowned for its many outdoor pursuits and golf courses, including the world famous Royal Troon and Turnberry whilst the world class, 19 hole golf course designed by Colin Montgomerie at Rowallan Castle is about 3.5 miles away. There is a popular Racecourse in Ayr and excellent yachting facilities at the Marina in Troon.
Newtonhead Farm, currently operates as a stock farm and extends to approximately 225.07 acres (91.09 ha) in total - available for sale as a whole or in 3 lots. The land comprises 18 enclosures and according to the James Hutton Institute, the land is classified as Grade 3(2). With the exception of the dismantled railway parcels, the land is all ploughable, in excellent heart sitting at between 36m and 55m above sea level and is well fenced. There is good access to all fields. Currently a good yield of silage is grown on an annual basis. The land is registered with SGRIPD for IACS purposes. The farm is in an accessible rural location and is approached along the farm drive.
LOT 1 - NEWTONHEAD FARMHOUSE, BUILDINGS AND LAND
Newtonhead is a traditional sandstone and slate farmhouse built with considerable presence and charm. The farm has been with the present owners for many generations and as such has been well maintained over the years. Internally the farmhouse is spacious and the rooms are well proportioned. On the ground floor, there is a utility room with access to larder and cloakroom, kitchen with Rayburn, sitting room with open fire, lounge and sun room. An office and a family bathroom completes the downstairs accommodation. On the first floor, there are four good sized bedrooms. The house overlooks a delightful enclosed garden with level lawn, various shrubs, central water feature and patio area. To the side of the farmhouse is a double garage (19ft x 18.6ft) (11 on plan) with up and over doors. The farm also benefits from a 24 hour CCTV system which operates 5 cameras around the steading.
Formerly a dairy farm, the steading comprises a useful range of farm buildings. The traditional stone buildings are in good order and offer scope for development. There are some excellent modern sheds.
1) Traditional range - stone and slate construction comprising the following:
- Old Dairy (About19.20ft x 11ft) plus greenhouse (10.40ft x 6.40ft)
- Byre (About 72ft x 21ft)
- Cart Shed (About 24ft x 18.20ft)
- Stable (About 42.60ft x 18.30ft)
- Meal Shed (About 18ft x 14ft)
2) Former byres
- New byre. Brick built with asbestos roof. (About 74.60ft x 24.10ft)
- Barn. Stone built with slate roof. (About 50ft x 20ft)
- Bull Pen. Stone built with slate roof. (About 35.10ft x 13.20ft)
3) Cubicle House (About 138.10ft x 78ft) - steel portal frame, fibre cement roof, block walls, Yorkshire boarding, slatted with concrete central feed passage and includes handling system. Houses 122 cubicles. Adjoining store (About 17.20ft x 13.20ft) - block construction and fibre cement roof.
4) Bedded Court (About 89.60ft x 45ft) - steel portal frame, corrugated iron roof, block/brick walls, corrugated iron clad and concrete floor.
5) Hayshed (About 60ft x 22ft) - steel portal frame, corrugated iron clad, brick walls and concrete floor.
6) Cubicle House About (85.60ft x 20.60ft) - steel portal frame, fibre cement roof, brick walls and concrete floor. Houses 46 cubicles.
7) High Level Slatted House (About 88.10ft x 28ft) - brick built and fibre cement roof. Central feed passage.
8) Former Hen House (About 60.60ft x 19ft) - brick built and asbestos roof.
In addition to the buildings there is:
Silage Pit - 74ft x 40ft asphalt concrete.
Silage Pit - 140ft x 45ft asphalt concrete.
7 tonne Collinson feed bin.
The land comprises thirteen fields and extends to 170.17 acres (68.87 ha) of which 160.44 acres (64.93 ha) is ploughable pasture, 6.42 acres (2.60 ha) is former dismantled railway/rough grazing and the remainder 3.30 acres (1.34ha) forms the access road and the steading.