The Smiddy is centrally located in the small rural village of Waterside, 3 miles north of Galston. The village lies on the Craufurdland water which meanders past the garden boundary and historically provided employment to the area when it powered …
The Smiddy is centrally located in the small rural village of Waterside, 3 miles north of Galston. The village lies on the Craufurdland water which meanders past the garden boundary and historically provided employment to the area when it powered a local carding mill. An OS map of 1856 shows that whin stone and sandstone quarries were located downstream of the mill. The Old Smithy (as it was known then) was built in 1871 and would have served the village until it became a private dwelling. Despite its rural location, Waterside is a popular base for commuters to Glasgow and offers access to the city centre via the M77 in under 30 minutes. Nearby Galston offers a variety of local amenities including a doctor’s surgery, chemist, supermarkets and both primary and secondary schooling. A wider range of high street shops are available in Kilmarnock (6 miles) and Silverburn Shopping Centre, with over 100 shops, restaurants and cinema is just 12 miles away.
The Smiddy was built in 1871 and is a traditional stone built property offering spacious accommodation over two levels. Much of the original character and charm of the property has been retained including exposed stone walls and beams. The breakfasting kitchen is generously proportional and has a central island and a bright red Aga. The utility room lies adjacent and opens to the garden. The living room is a characterful room and is open plan to the dining area with a log burning stove. In addition, there is a family room and a downstairs bedroom. Stairs lead from the hallway up to a bright studio with views over the garden at the rear. A separate staircase from the living room leads to three further bedrooms and a bathroom.
The gardens of The Smiddy are enclosed and sheltered by mature trees and shrubs. A paved terrace opens from the utility room and overlooks a lawn at the rear. A gate leads down to the Craufurdland Water. The garden at the front is enclosed by an original stone wall and is awash with seasonal colour. There is off road parking and a double garage.