Newlands stands proud in an elevated position overlooking Deer Abbey, and is a striking and very eye catching category B listed property, steeped in history and full of charm. Its position on the hill with a southerly aspect provides a …
Newlands stands proud in an elevated position overlooking Deer Abbey, and is a striking and very eye catching category B listed property, steeped in history and full of charm. Its position on the hill with a southerly aspect provides a good degree of privacy, with shelter from mature trees, and sits in around 5.30 acres of garden ground. The property has been beautiful refurbished and maintained by the present owners over recent years to retain its individuality, yet to create a very functional, spacious and versatile family home.
As one enters the home there is an entrance hall which in turn leads through to the lounge with wood burning stove. Continuing through there is the sitting room / breakfast room, a lovely room with doors opening out to the garden.
To the rear of the house is a large hall with stairs leading to the upper landing. The large windows and school like cupboards provide characterful features. From here you will access the modern fitted kitchen and handy utility room. There is a further sitting room on the ground floor, which can also be used as a fifth double bedroom. Completing the accommodation on this level is the study and bathroom.
Upstairs, the landing is particularly bright with large windows, and one will find four equally spacious double bedrooms, two of which have built in wardrobes. The shower room completes the accommodation.
Ground Floor: Entrance hall, lounge/ dining room, sitting room, breakfast room, sitting room (bedroom 5), kitchen, utility room, study, bathroom and rear entrance hall.
First Floor: Bedroom 1, bedroom 2, bedroom 3, bedroom 4 & shower room.
The private tarred drive way sweeps up through the grounds to the house where there are various parking areas. The drive continues past the house to a great outdoor working area with detached timber double garage, with power and light, and three further timber sheds.
The house sits in the centre of the garden grounds with large grass lawns, shrubs, colourful plants and scattering of mature trees. To the west side of the property there is a mature woodland area with paths meandering through creating an idyllic area of outdoor space.
Water - Mains
Electricity - Mains
Drainage - Septic Tank
Heating - Oil
Council Tax - Band F
EPC - F
Newlands is located on the edge of the village of Mintlaw and only a short drive from the renowned 230-acre Aden Country Park which provides beautiful scenic woodland walks with a heritage centre, restaurant, playground and campsite. Situated in the heart of rural Aberdeenshire, the stunning rolling countryside is a popular location for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city living and enjoy the great outdoors. Only a few minutes’ drive along the road is the village of Mintlaw, which provides Primary and Secondary education and a good number of local amenities. A choice of Private schools in Aberdeen are easily reached by bus from the Mintlaw Exchange bus stop. There are also many excellent golf courses nearby and local salmon and trout fishing opportunities.
Newlands is ideally positioned approximately 20 minutes from the start of the new AWPR near Ellon and is well placed for the industrial estates of Bridge of Don, Ellon and Dyce, and to the north, Fraserburgh, Peterhead and St Fergus. Aberdeen is approximately 30 miles, providing excellent transport links with a main line railway station and is host to an airport providing both domestic and international flights. Mintlaw Exchange bus station provides excellent links to the surrounding area as well as to Aberdeen and beyond.
Built c. 1820/30 and originally the Head Gardener’s Cottage for the Pitfour Estate, Newlands is a category B-listed property steeped in history and charm. The house was acquired from the executors of Lieutenant-Colonel Ferguson of Pitfour by Deaconess Anna Ritchie and her husband in 1927. The Anna Ritchie School in nearby Peterhead was established in 1963 for the education of children with learning difficulties and Deaconess Anna Ritchie had a great interest in such children. She encouraged the foundation of the school, which was named in her honour, and often taught children in the house. You can still see the ‘school-like’ cupboards in the downstairs hall. The house remained in the same family until 2001 before changing hands and then being acquired by the present owners in 2014.
The property overlooks Deer Abbey, founded in 1219, which for more than 300 years, was home to Cistercian monks. In 1587, 27 years after the Reformation, the Abbey became the secular barony of Altrie. An Admiral Ferguson later took ownership. In 1854 he destroyed much of what was left standing and replaced it with a large mausoleum for himself. The mausoleum was in turn demolished in 1926 by the Roman Catholic Diocese, who acquired the site the same year. All that remains of the mausoleum is its classical portico, which graces the entrance to the site. Today, there are annual pilgrimages to Deer Abbey.
The Abbey is associated with the Book of Deer, which was probably kept in the Abbey’s library. This Gospel book was written around AD 900 but contains many additions from around 200 years later. These additions are the oldest body of Gaelic writing in Scotland. Gaelic notes written in the book describe the founding of the early monastery by St Columba. Such origin legends were often used by churches to increase their status. The book is now kept at Cambridge University in England.
The house also looks towards Aikey Brae where there is a stone circle. Aikey Brae is also where Aikey Fair, a large horse market and feeing market for harvest engagements was held.