The house and grounds offer considerable scope for development if desired and subject to planning consent.
Rod Christie, a partner with Galbraith in Moray, said:
North College is a truly outstanding property. The combination of the various elements opens up so many opportunities to buyers whilst intrinsically it remains a magnificent historical house with a wealth of period and architectural features. The current owners have created a wonderful family home in the main house as well as letting the business premises and the Wing separately to generate a useful income. Either or both elements could easily be incorporated into the main house however if required. Sitting at the heart of Elgin and within private and enclosed grounds, North College also offers an interesting development angle with planning permission previously granted to develop additional houses within the walled grounds.
The situation of North College House, overlooking Cooper Park and adjacent to the Cathedral provides a quiet and attractive setting despite its central location.
The property is Grade B listed, and is perhaps the most historically and architecturally interesting building in a small city full of noteworthy properties. It is believed that the original house was built within the grounds of the Cathedral in the 13th Century, soon after the Cathedral was built and that a small part of this building is embodied in the present house. The property first served as the Precentor’s Manse for the visiting Bishop, before being sold to Sir Alexander Dunbar of Burgie in 1568.
The Dunbar coat of arms dated 1520 with the motto ‘ornat fortem prudentia’ is carved in stone at the front of the house.
In the 1920’s, the house was owned by Sir George Cooper, a well-known Elgin philanthropist who donated the present day Cooper Park to the Burgh of Elgin.
North College has been relatively recently renovated and extended by the current owners to create superb accommodation including an atmospheric sitting room with a vaulted ceiling and a large fireplace, a spacious kitchen with granite worktops and integrated appliances; and a beautifully lit dining room and drawing room. There are five generously sized bedrooms, three of which have en suite bathrooms.
The Wing also has its own private entrance ensuring it can be used separately as at present or as additional accommodation to the main house if required. The Wing includes a hall / dining room with double doors to a good-sized kitchen, sitting room, living room with open fireplace, family bathroom and a large store / additional bedroom. On the first floor, there are four bedrooms, two of which have en suite facilities.
The northern section of North College comprises the premises currently used by Moray Osteopaths. This single storey section of the building was added by the current owners and comprises three separate practice rooms, a reception area / office, WC and store cupboard. This part of the building also has a separate access and provides an excellent base from which to further establish a business from home.
The grounds at North College extend to about 1.7 acres and offer considerable privacy and seclusion for such a centrally located property. The lawn is fringed by mature trees including Spanish Chestnut, an impressive Cedar of Lebanon and a Yew believed to date back over 400 years.
North College and the surrounding grounds provide considerable scope for development (subject to obtaining all necessary consents). Plans have previously been prepared for the conversion of the main house into three separate dwellings, whilst planning consents have previously been granted for the construction of five new dwellings within the grounds.
Offers over £1m are sought for North College, through Galbraith in Elgin.