A leading independent property consultancy with expertise covering a broad spectrum of property related services

Energy Performance Certificates

Under Article 7 of European Performance Buildings Directive, an Energy Report (EPC) is to be made available to all prospective tenants of residential property from 4th January 2009.

WoodfireThe aim of the Energy Report is to provide tenants with the energy efficiency rating of the property so that they may take a view of likely fuel bills and CO2 emissions.

The Energy Report will provide a rating from A to G and show the current rating and the potential rating if various cost effective improvements are undertaken.  The Certificate will be a one page document, similar to the style widely used at present to show energy efficiency of items such as fridges, and will be required to be positioned in the property where it can be readily accessed.

Energy Reports can only be provided by suitably qualified persons such as members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, who have signed a protocol with the Scottish Government. Chartered Surveyors at CKD Galbraith have undergone detailed training to be able to provide landlords and clients with accurate information and to ensure that they comply with the legal requirements as a landlord.  All residential properties that are let from 4th January will require an Energy Report.  This does not include holiday homes unless they are let for a period of over 10 weeks to a single tenant.

The local Trading Standards Office has the power to fine the landlord 200 for failing to have a valid EPC and can thereafter insist that the correct document is obtained. If you would like further advice on EPCs, please contact Kash Bhatti for commercial properties or Bob Cherry for residential properties.