- Calculate what your total Arable' land is. This figure (A) is your total arable crop area including both cropped land and also temporary grass less than five years old (TGRS)
- It is essential that you declare grass correctly next year. If grass is over five years old in 2015 (i.e. established in 2009 or before) then it is classed as permanent grass (PGRS) even if it is part of a longer traditional rotation. This will have to be redone every year as TGRS becomes PGRS or the reverse.
- Follow the Crop Diversification Flowchart (figure 1) to work out how many crops you have to grow and how much of each, taking note of the limits for each one.
- Use our Ecological Focus Areas (EFAs) flowchart (figure 2) to work out if you need to include EFAs
- Work out which EFA options suit your system. Take careful note of the conversion factors listed in the table (figure 3) as weighting ratios mean that some options require more ground to be used in order to equate to areas in the initial calculations.
- We are awaiting further information on the detailed management of individual EFA options and will provide an update when it is available.
To see the charts in full screen mode click on the links below.
To download them to your computer as pdfs right click on the link below and select "Save Link As" or "Save Target As"
For expert advice on all your farm, estate and land needs contact the largest rural consultancy in Scotland.