We have been involved in over 100 wind projects across Scotland and the North of England and our expertise reflects the variety of clients we act for and projects we have seen from landowner to developer, and from domestic turbine to a large-scale wind farm.
How we can help
The work really begins once your renewable potential has been identified and you have decided on the scale of generation you'd like to see. We help clients to optimise their returns and protect their property assets through:
• Land referencing – we regularly identify landowners and tenants for potential projects on behalf of developers. We have access to the Land Register and supplement this with our own GIS database identifying land ownerships covering most of Scotland;
• Negotiation of exclusivity, heads of terms and option and lease agreements, ensuring a good outcome for both all parties;
• Landlord and tenant negotiations, including rent reviews;
• Access, wayleave and servitude arrangements – an essential part of any wind farm development. Connecting to the grid can involve negotiations with national power firms and neighbours who could hold the key to unlocking your development potential;
• Legal, finance and taxation – we regularly work alongside other professionals to ensure our clients rights are adequately protected, maximising their income, while helping their tax arrangements;
• Preparing records of condition prior, during and after construction work an essential part of any lease or agreement;
• Compensation agreements for damage done to the property as a result of the development, or for reserving the right to claim in the future as the development progresses.
Once these initial steps are complete, we help clients complete the practical aspects of the development, including:
• Planning consultancy – our Planning Department can help with every aspect of your project.
• Negotiation of power purchase agreements (PPA) – we help our customers find buyers for their electricity.
• Negotiation of habitat management agreements and specialist forestry advice – We have agreed felling areas, timber sale contracts and compensation agreements for timber felled on a number of wind farm sites.
A complete service
We are retained by a number of developers to advise on many aspects of wind power including:
• Land referencing
• Access and compensation agreements
• Heads of terms for option
• Joint ventures.
We provide assistance with community benefit renewable projects, and carry out valuations for security, funding and joint venture asset allocation purposes.