Your New Company
The company specialises in the rural, residential, energy, forestry and commercial sectors, and has recently launched an exciting new service focused on natural capital and biodiversity net gain
Many of the client services offered by Galbraith have a significant spatial component and GIS plays a key role in their provision. To support, grow and develop our GIS systems and services we are seeking an experienced GIS CONSULTANT. The role will require regular travel to Edinburgh, Perth and Stirling and
Your New Role
This is a diverse and interesting role at a time when the organisation’s GIS is significantly evolving. As part of a small GIS team, you will have real opportunity to influence the ongoing development of this GIS architecture and to work on a diverse range of projects across the energy, rural, forestry and commercial sectors.
The role will be responsible for:
- Advising colleagues in the energy, rural, forestry and commercial business streams on the appropriate deployment of GIS technologies to achieve project outcomes and to add value for clients
- Interaction and collaboration with clients, sub-contractors, external consultants and public / private sector organisations
- Helping to build, maintain and expand a stack of open-source GIS software. The organisation uses QGIS as its primary desktop GIS and has recently deployed PostGIS and GeoServer, with the aim of building a centralised spatial data hub which can be used by a cohort of 60 GIS enabled staff.
- Spatial data management and database design. You will assist with the migration of the organisation’s existing spatial data into PostGIS / GeoServer and with its ongoing maintenance, ensuring that staff across the organisation have access to authoritative data.
- Administration of a cloud-based web GIS platform built around an open-source stack.
- Training and technical support for a GIS user group of around 60 staff in the energy, rural, forestry and commercial business streams.
- Producing and maintaining technical documentation and user guides as part of GIS systems development and to support GIS users across the business
- Provision of spatial analysis, cartography and data management services to clients in the energy, rural, forestry and commercial sectors.
- To Be Successful
- We’re looking for individuals with a genuine interest in using GIS in innovative and interesting ways. You don’t need to be an expert at everything, but you need to have the drive and aptitude to pick up new skills quickly and enjoy identifying and implementing solutions to technical challenges.
- Ability to engage confidently with colleagues at all levels of seniority across the business and with clients, sub-contractors and external consultants across a range of sectors.
- QGIS: The company uses QGIS as its primary desktop GIS. Demonstrable experience using QGIS 3.4 or above would be an advantage.
- Experience designing and managing spatial databases / geodatabases. PostGIS knowledge would be preferred, but exposure to other environments (Esri, Oracle) will be considered.
- Experience of data handling / cleaning / ETL procedures and applications, and exposure to FME would be an advantage.
- Experience creating, publishing and administrating web map and web feature services using a GIS server. GeoServer knowledge would be preferred, but exposure to other environments (Esri) will be considered.
- Cartography: Demonstrable ability to produce technically accurate and visually appealing maps to support decision making by colleagues and clients.
- Spatial analysis: Demonstrable experience analysing spatial data to answer questions and inform decision making.
- An interest in keeping up to date with developments in the wider GIS industry and working towards professional accreditation (CGeog or equivalent).
- Educated to degree level in relevant technical discipline.
- ArcGIS (Including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Web AppBuilder, Dashboards, Hub, Experience Builder etc).
- Experience using mobile GIS applications (QField, Survey123, Collector, Avenza).
- Experience using web GIS systems.
- Python (including PyQGIS) for QGIS plugin development or for process automation.
- Experience using GIS in the energy, rural, forestry or commercial sectors.
- Experience using GIS for terrestrial ecology or natural capital assessment.
- Experience carrying out land cover classification or satellite / aerial imagery analysis.
- Experience using open-source and proprietary Ordnance Survey data (e.g. OS Zoomstack, OS MasterMap, Vector Map Local).
- Experience using title / ownership data from Registers of Scotland or HM Land Registry.
What We Offer
We offer a varied and interesting range of work across a number of sectors, and the opportunity to have a real impact on the development of the organisation’s wider GIS architecture. We’ll provide you with access to training and development opportunities to grow as a professional, keep up to date with developments in the wider GIS industry and support towards professional accreditation. We’ll also pay for membership of a selected professional body.
In return, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work for a growing team in a successful organisation. This role is full time and offers a blend of office and home working, with an office base of Edinburgh or Stirling and travel to other offices as required.
To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate will be required to undergo Experian credit and criminal record checks.
Galbraith is an equal opportunities employer.